Pesticide Use Reporting (PUR)
California's pesticide use reporting program is recognized as the most comprehensive in the world. In 1990, California became the first state to require full reporting of agricultural pesticide use in response to demands for more realistic and comprehensive pesticide use data. Under the program, all agricultural pesticide use must be reported monthly to county agricultural commissioners, who in turn, report the data to DPR.
California has a broad legal definition of "agricultural use" so the reporting requirements include pesticide applications to parks, golf courses, cemeteries, rangeland, pastures, and along roadside and railroad rights-of-way. In addition, all postharvest pesticide treatments of agricultural commodities must be reported along with all pesticide treatments in poultry and fish production as well as some livestock applications. The primary exceptions to the reporting requirements are home-and-garden use and most industrial and institutional uses.
The Pesticide Use Report data can be accessed in three different ways:
- California Pesticide Information Portal (CalPIP)
- California Pesticide Information Portal – Generate customized information from DPR's Pesticide Use Report Database
CalPIP is the most up-to-date source of Pesticide Use Reports data. It includes updates submitted after the Pesticide Use Annual Summary Reports.
- Pesticide Use Annual Summary Reports
DPR staff prepare annual data summaries, indexed by chemical or by commodity. The summaries include analyses of pesticide use trends and are available from 1989 to present. (Note: In 1989, full use reporting requirements were not in effect.)
- Pesticide Use Report Data
Download Pesticide Use Annual Summary Report data, by year, from DPR's FTP site. Note that this data does not include any updates that may have occurred after the release of the Annual Summary Report. Zip files of data from 1974 through most recent available.
- Downloadable GIS spatial data required to plot pesticide use by township and section
- Download zip files of full years of pesticide use data
Laws and Regulations
- Laws governing pesticide use reporting (Scroll to Food and Agricultural Code section 14011.5)
- Pesticide use reporting regulations (3 CCR sections 6624 – 6628)
- Pesticide use reporting of field fumigant applications
- Agricultural Pesticide Use Web Mapping Service – California Department of Public Health, Environmental Health Investigations Branch
- Analyses of Pesticide Use Trends
- Forms for pesticide use reporting
- Pesticide Use Reporting: An Overview of California's Unique Full Reporting System (May 2000) (PDF, 171 kb)
- Report on pesticide use report data quality (2001)
- Part I, PDF (80 kb)
- Appendix A, PDF (107 kb) – Preliminary and Expanded List of PUR Problems and Issues
- Appendix B, PDF (32 kb) – Pesticide User Report Improvement Plan
- Appendix C, PDF (2.99 mb) – An Assessment of Spatial Data Quality
- Appendix D, PDF (564 kb) – Pesticide Use Report Loading and Error-Handling
- Report on new procedures for identifying outliers in pesticide use rates, PDF (1.3 mb) (September 2016)
Please send your questions and comments to PUR.firstname.lastname@example.org.