DPR 22-003 Certification and Training
Sign-up to receive Notices of Proposed Regulatory Action via e-mail.
DPR 22-003 Certification and Training (Notice 6/3/22; Comment period closes 7/19/22)
DPR proposes to adopt Title 3, California Code of Regulations (3 CCR) sections 6509, 6512.1, 6512.2, 6512.3, 6512.4, 6580.1, 6580.2, 6624.5, and 6731; amend sections 6000, 6302, 6404, 6406, 6414, 6428, 6430, 6500, 6502, 6504, 6508, 6510, 6511, 6512, 6513, 6522, 6530, 6531, 6540, 6562, 6564, 6568, 6580, 6582, 6584, 6612, 6622, 6624, 6724, and 6742; and repeal sections 6445.5, 6534, 6536, and 6560. The pesticide regulatory program activities affected by the proposal are those pertaining to the certification of commercial and private pesticide applicators (“certified applicators”), development and submittal of continuing education (CE) courses required for pesticide applicator license or certificate renewal, and supervision of non-certified applicators. In summary, the proposed regulations will align California’s regulations with the revised federal regulations in Title 40, Code of Federal Regulations Part 171 “Certification of Pesticide Applicators” (40 CFR Part 171) that were noticed in the Federal Register Vol. 82, No. 2 on January 4, 2017. The proposed action will improve the competency standards for certified applicators using California restricted materials, which includes federally restricted use pesticides (RUPs), improve certification standards for certified applicators, create additional certification categories for certified applicators, increase protection for noncertified applicators using restricted materials under the direct supervision of a certified applicator through enhanced pesticide safety training and standards for supervision of noncertified applicators, establish a minimum age requirement for certified and noncertified applicators using restricted materials under the direct supervision of a certified applicator, and improve standards for CE courses. In addition, new forms will be incorporated by reference and some forms currently incorporated by reference will be amended to align with the proposed action.
- Notice of Proposed Regulatory Action, PDF
- Proposed Text, PDF
- Incorporated by Reference Forms
- Qualified Applicator License Application, LIC-001 (Rev. 07/23)
- Qualified Applicator Certificate Application, LIC-001A (Rev. 07/23)
- Pest Control Business License Application, LIC-042 (Rev. 07/23)
- Agricultural Pest Control Adviser Application, LIC-084 (Rev. 07/23)
- Pest Control Aircraft Pilot Certificate Application, LIC-005 (Rev. 07/23)
- Pest Control Dealer Designated Agent License Application, LIC-043 (Rev. 07/23)
- Pest Control Business Renewal Application, LIC-192 (Rev. 07/23)
- Individual License/Certificate Renewal Application, LIC-141 (Rev. 07/23)
- In-Person Continuing Education Approval Request Application, LIC-131A (Rev. 07/23)
- Interactive Online and Webinar Continuing Education Approval Request Application, LIC-131B (Rev. 07/23)
- Continuing Education Additional Course Date Request, LIC-132 (Rev. 07/23)
- Private Applicator Certificate Application, LIC-045 (Rev. 07/23)
- Initial Statement of Reasons, PDF
- Economic and Fiscal Impact Statement (Form 399), PDF
- Documents Relied Upon
- Asci, D. S., & Konduru, D. S. (2021). Economic Impact Analysis for California Rulemaking Pertaining to the Certification and Training of Pesticide Applicators.
- Environmental Protection Agency. (2017, January 4). Federal Register / Vol. 82, No. 2; Pesticides; Certification of Pesticide Applicators (40 CFR Part 171). Federal Register.
- Oregon Department of Agriculture. (n.d.). Continuing Education Accreditation Form. Oregon Department of Agriculture
- Oregon Department of Agriculture. (n.d.). Additional Instructions for Distance and Online Learning Recertification Courses. Oregon Department of Agriculture.
- S. Bureau of Labor Statistics. (2019). Average Hours Employed People Spent Working on Days Worked by Day of Week (2019). U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics.
- S. Environmental Protection Agency. (2016, December 7). Economic Analysis of Final Amendment to 40 CFR Part 171: Certification of Pesticide Applicators.
- Washington State Department of Agriculture. (n.d.). Sponsoring a Webinar Course. Webinar | Washington State Department of Agriculture.
- Washington State Department of Agriculture. (n.d.). Request for Recertification Course Accreditation. Washington State Department of Agriculture.
- Certification and Training Assessment Group. (2010, December). Pesticide Applicator Recertification: Online Training - Course Design and Structure.
- Agricultural Pest Control Advisory Committee Meeting Minutes. Dated March 14, 2018.
- Department of Pesticide Regulation. (2022). Summary of Proposed California-Specific Certification & Training Requirements.