Research Grants Program
The California Department of Pesticide Regulation’s (DPR) Research Grants Program provides funding for research projects that advance Integrated Pest Management (IPM) knowledge in agricultural, urban, and wildland settings. Projects should focus on reducing impacts to public health or the environment from pesticides of high regulatory concern and/or considered high-risk.
Please see the Alliance Grants Program for funding opportunities that promote or increase the implementation, expansion, and/or adoption of effective, proven, and affordable IPM systems and practices.
Application Process and Current Status
The 2023 Research Grants Solicitation period is now open. Proposal Applications will be accepted through September 22, 2022.
The 2023 Research Grants Proposal Application materials are available here: 2023 Research Grants Proposal Application Materials
Dates and Deadlines
- Early July 2022 – Solicitation period opens; DPR begins accepting Proposal Applications
- Thursday, July 28, 2022 (10:00 – 11:00 am) – DPR-hosted virtual information meeting #1 – Topic: Research/Alliance Grant Solicitation Period Kickoff Session: Program Goals, Commonly Funded Projects, Eligibility, Research Grants vs. Alliance Grants
- Thursday, August 11, 2022 (10:00 – 11:00 am) – DPR-hosted virtual information meeting #2 – Topic: Crafting a Scope of Work; Writing Objectives, Tasks, and Deliverables
- Thursday, August 18, 2022 (10:00 – 11:00 am) – DPR-hosted virtual information meeting #3 – Topic: Budgets and Budget Justifications
- Thursday, September 1, 2022 (10:00 – 11:00 am) – DPR-hosted virtual information meeting #4 – Topic: Crafting a Scope of Work; Writing Objectives, Tasks, and Deliverables
- Thursday, September 8, 2022 (10:00 – 11:00 am) – DPR-hosted virtual information meeting #5 – Topic: Budgets and Budget Justifications
- Thursday, September 15, 2022 (10:00 – 11:00 am) – DPR-hosted virtual information meeting #6 – Topic: General Question and Answer Session
- Thursday, September 22, 2022 – Final application deadline
- Thursday, February 9, 2023 (9:30 am – 1:30 pm) – PMAC Research Grants proposal review meeting
- Monday, July 3, 2023 – Earliest project start date pending full execution of grant agreement
- Wednesday, December 31, 2025 – Latest project end date
DPR-hosted virtual informational meetings will take place via Zoom to provide applicants with additional information and to answer questions about the Proposal Application and grant funding processes on the dates and times listed above. Each meeting has a general topic and will include a presentation by DPR staff with time at the end for any questions. There is no registration process – attendance is open to anyone interested in attending. If you are unable to attend, sessions will be recorded and uploaded to this website.
Alternatives to chlorpyrifos research projects were funded through a special one-time allocation from California’s General Fund.
The funds were used to support research projects that advance safer, more sustainable pest management alternatives to chlorpyrifos
with the goal of developing and fostering Integrated Pest Management Practices (IPM) that can be voluntarily adopted in lieu of using
For questions, please contact:
1001 I Street, P.O. Box 4015
Sacramento, CA 95812-4015