Personal Protective Equipment (PPE)
Personal protective equipment is clothing (for example, gloves, rubber boots) or devices (for example, respirators, safety goggles) worn by workers to protect against hazardous environments.
- Gloves for Handling Pesticides, PDF ( En Español, PDF) - due to PPE shortage during the current COVID-19 crisis, DPR has compiled some glove-safety tips.
- N95 Alternatives for Pesticide Handling, PDF ( En Español, PDF) - due to PPE shortage during the current COVID-19 crisis, DPR has compiled a list of respirators and exposure controls that offer the same or better protection for employees who are required to use N95 respirators
- Glove category selection key, PDF (En Español, PDF) - provides guidance when the PPE on the pesticide label lists a chemical-resistance category code (A through H) for gloves.
Respiratory Protection Compliance Assistance
- Respiratory Protection Regulations
- Title 3, California Code of Regulations, Section 6739 - text of respiratory protection and associated regulations.
- Compliance Assistance
- Respiratory protection program guidelines, HS-1513 Fillable Form, PDF (En Español, PDF) - compliance assistance for developing a written program.
- Medical evaluation questionnaire, PDF (En Español, PDF).
- Respirator regulation handout, PDF (January 2008), - developed by the Napa County Agricultural Commissioner's office.
- Summary of Worker Safety and Protection Regulations, PDF - developed by the Sacramento County Agricultural Commissioner's Office.
- Voluntary respiratory provisions, PDF (February 2008) - Q&A handout
- Compliance Documentation for Section 6739 (o)(5) End-of-Service Life - pesticide-specific directions from the respirator manufacturer.
- Color Coding for NIOSH Approved Respirator Cartridges and Canisters, PDF - this list is not comprehensive. Always follow pesticide label instructions, regulations, and permit conditions when selecting respiratory protection.
- Recommended Reading
- Small Entity Compliance Guide, PDF - by the U.S. Dept. of Labor to assist in managing a respiratory protection program.
- Respiratory Protection in the Workplace, A Practical Guide for Small-Business Employers, PDF (2005) by the California Department of Industrial Relations.
For content questions, contact:
Emma R. Colson, CIH
3077 Fite Circle
Sacramento, CA 95827