Exotic Pest Projects - Environmental Monitoring
The California Department of Food and Agriculture (CDFA) uses aerial and ground applications of pesticides to eradicate infestations of exotic pests, such as Mediterranean fruit flies in California. The Environmental Monitoring Branch of the Department of Pesticide Regulation (DPR) monitors selected treatments to provide information on pesticide concentrations in various matrices that may include deposition, water, soil, air, foliage, fruits and vegetables.
The following are documents and reports on completed projects:
- EH 88-04, PDF Collison, C.N., M.M. Bisbiglia, and N. Miller. 1988. Environmental monitoring of the 1987 apple maggot project.
- EH 87-07, PDF Gonzales, D.A., D. Supkoff, J. Fleck, S. Margetich, and J. Echelberry. 1987. Environmental monitoring of the 1986 apple maggot eradication project in Humboldt and Del Norte Counties.
Asian Citrus Psyllid
- Study 258, PDF Kim, D. 2009. Protocol for Monitoring Imidacloprid and Cyfluthrin in the Asian Citrus Psyllid Eradication Program.
- Memo, PDF Kim, D. 2020. Results for the environmental monitoring of imidacloprid and b-cyfluthrin used in the Asian citrus psyllid eradication program
- Memo, PDF Kim, D. 2019. Surface water monitoring of b-cyfluthrin used in the Asian citrus psyllid treatments near surface water.
- Memo, PDF Kim, D. 2012. Results for the Monitoring of Imidacloprid and Cyfluthrin Used in the Asian Citrus Psyllid Eradication Program in Imperial County (Study #258).
- Memo, PDF Kim, D. 2012. Results for the Monitoring of Imidacloprid and Cyfluthrin Used in the Asian Citrus Psyllid Eradication Program in Los Angeles County (Study #258).
- Memo, PDF Kim, D. 2012. Results for the Monitoring of Imidacloprid and Cyfluthrin Used in the Asian Citrus Psyllid Eradication Program in San Diego County (Study #258).
- EH 91-01, PDF Carr, N.V., R.T. Segawa, S.J. Richman, and V. Quan.1991. Monitoring of the 1990 gypsy moth eradication project.
- EH 89-01, PDF Marade, J., B. Bisbiglia, and V. Quon. 1989. Environmental monitoring of the 1987 gypsy moth eradication project in Los Angeles County.
- EH 85-05, PDF Franz, J.R., D. Weaver, and R. Segawa. 1985. Monitoring of 1984 gypsy moth eradication ground spray program in Alameda and San Diego Counties.
- Study 258, PDF Kim, D.K. 2011. Protocol for Monitoring Carbaryl, Cyfluthrin, and Imidacloprid in the Japanese Beetle Eradication Program.
- Memo, PDF Kim, D. 2020. Summary of Japanese Beetle eradication program monitoring for chlorantraniliprole in Sacramento and Santa Clara Counties, 2016.
- Study JB 258, PDF Kim. 2017. Summary of Japanese Beetle Eradication Program Monitoring for Carbaryl, Imidacloprid and Cyfluthrin in Sacramento County, 2015.
- Study JB 258, PDF Kim, D. 2015. Summary of Japanese Beetle Eradication Program Monitoring for Carbaryl, Imidacloprid and Cyfluthrin in Sacramento County, 2011.
- EH 89-06, PDF Segawa, R.T. 1989. Monitoring the pesticide treatments of the Japanese beetle project - Sacramento County, California, 1983-1986 (data supplement).
- EH 89-05, PDF Segawa, R.T. and S.J. Powell. 1989. Monitoring the pesticide treatments of the Japanese beetle project - Sacramento County, California, 1983-1986- Volume III: diazinon.
- EH 89-03, PDF Segawa, R.T. and S.J. Powell. 1989. Monitoring the pesticide treatments of the Japanese beatle project - Sacramento County, California, 1983-1986 - Volume II: isofenphos.
Mediterranean Fruit Fly
- Study 145 Wofford, P. 1996. Protocol for Development of Methodologies to Measure Deposition Residues of SureDye Applied for Eradication of Mediterranean Fruit Fly.
- EH 95-02 Ando, C., R. Gallavan, P. Wofford, A. Bradley, D. Kim, P. Lee, and J. Troiano. 1996. Environmental Monitoring Results of the Mediterranean Fruit Fly Eradication Program, Riverside County 1994.
- Executive Summary, PDF , Ando, C., J. Leyva, and C. Gana. 1993. Monitoring diazinon in the Mediterranean fruit fly eradication soil treatment program, Los Angeles County, California, 1992.
- EH 82-01, PDF Oshima, R.J., L.A. Neher, T.M. Mischke,D.J. Weaver, and O.S. Liefson. 1982. A Characterization of Sequential Aerial Malathion Application in the Santa Clara Valley of California, 1981.
- Memo Leyva, J. 1995. Removal of Malathion Residues from Lettuce for Medfly Eradication Projects.
Mexican Fruit Fly
- Final results of environmental monitoring, PDF ]
- Spinosad references
- Additional information on Mexican fruit flies
Oriental Fruit Fly
- EH 90-10, PDF Carr, N.V., R. Gallavan, and D. Tran. 1990. Monitoring of methyl eugenol and DDVP in fruit near fruit fly traps during a pest trapping program.
- EH 89-09, PDF Turner, B., N. Miller, D. Tran, and S. Powell. 1989. The environmental monitoring of methyl eugenol, naled and dichlorvos during a pest trapping and eradication program.
Red Imported Fire Ant
- Reports and LC50 Studies
Provide detailed monitoring and study results
- Presentations and Newsletter
Slide presentations of monitoring methodology and results. The newsletter contains layperson summary of monitoring status and results
White Garden Snail
- EH 88-08, PDF Turner, B., M. Bisbiglia, N. Miller, K. Hefner, and N. Carr. 1988. Results of white garden snail environmental monitoring program spring and fall, 1987.
For content questions, contact:
1001 I Street, P.O. Box 4015
Sacramento, CA 95812-4015
Phone: (916) 323-2778