Pesticide Contamination Prevention Act Review Process Triggered by Detections of Chlorthal Dimethyl in Ground Water
Sign up to receive e-mail updates on DPR's ground water protection program, including public meeting notices and related information.
Legal Agricultural Use Determination
Detections in ground water of monomethyl tetrachloroterephthalate (MTP) and 2,3,5,6-tetrachloroterephthalic acid (TPA), degradation products of chlorthal dimethyl (DCPA), were determined to be from legal agricultural use and DPR responded by placing chlorthal dimethyl (DCPA) in the formal detection response process.
Memorandum, PDF (40 kb) - Request to proceed with detection response process for
chlorthal dimethyl, 2018
- Attachment 1, PDF (1.6 mb) - Legal agricultural use determination for DCPA degradate detections in California, 2018
Formal Review Process and Regulatory Changes
A formal review process began in March 2018 following detection of chlorthal dimethyl (DCPA) degradates in ground water.
Notice of detection cover letter, PDF (48 kb) listing the product containing DCPA, the registrant, procedures for registrant to request a public hearing before a subcommittee of the Pesticide Registration and Evaluation Committee (PREC), and related information.
- Attachment 1, PDF (56 kb) - Notice of chlorthal-dimethyl degradation product residue detections in California ground water and registrant opportunity to request a hearing, 2018
- Attachment 2, PDF (13.6 mb) - Legal agricultural use determination for DCPA degradate detections in California, 2018
Registrant letter to request a public hearing before a subcommittee of the PREC:
- AMVAC Chemical Corporation, March 29, 2018, PDF(582 kb)
Public Hearing: August 29, 2018
- Notice of public hearing, PDF (60 kb) A hearing has been requested by the registrant of chlorthal-dimethyl to review continued use of their product that contains this active ingredient. The hearing will be at 9:00 a.m. Wednesday, August 29, 2018 in the Sierra Hearing Room at the California Environmental Protection Agency, 1001 I Street, Sacramento. Public testimony will be taken and the meeting will be available through a live Webcast.
- AMVAC Chemical Corporation, Information and Report Concerning Chlorthal-Dimethyl and its Metabolites, PDF (377 kb)
Subcommittee Findings and Director's Decision
- Notice of decision pertaining to chlorthal-dimethyl, PDF (914 kb): Based on the findings and recommendations of the PREC subcommittee, the Director of DPR issued a decision regarding the continued use of chlorthal-dimethyl