Pesticide Contamination Prevention Act Review Process Triggered by Detection of Metolachlor/S-metolachlor Degradates in Ground Water
Sign up to receive e-mail updates on DPR's ground water protection program, including public meeting notices and related information.
Legal Agricultural Use Determination
Detections in ground water of metolachlor ethanesulfonic acid (ESA) and metolachlor oxanilic acid (OXA), degradation products of metolachlor and S-metolachlor, were determined to be from legal agricultural use and DPR responded by placing metolachlor and S-metolachlor in the formal detection response process.
Memorandum – Request to proceed with detection response process for metolachlor and S-metolachlor, 2016
Formal Review Process
A formal review process began in September 2016 following detection of metolachlor and S-metolachlor degradates in ground water.
Notice of detection cover letters listing products containing metolachlor and S-metolachlor, their registrants, procedures for registrants to request a public hearing before a subcommittee of the Pesticide Registration and Evaluation Committee (PREC), and related information.
- Drexel Chemical Company
- Makhteshim Agan of North America, Inc. (d/b/a ADAMA Agricultural Solutions Ltd.)
- Sipcam Agro USA, Inc.
- Syngenta Crop Protection, Inc.
- Tenkoz Inc.
- Winfield Solutions, LLC
- Attachment 1, PDF (42 kb) – Notice of metolachlor/S-metolachlor degradation product residue detections in California ground water and registrant opportunity to request a hearing, 2016
- Attachment 2, PDF (6.5 mb) – Legal agricultural use determination for metolachlor/S-metolachlor degradate detections in California, 2016
Registrant letters to request a public hearing before a subcommittee of the PREC:
- Metolachlor Task Force, October 3, 2016, PDF (145 kb) (Drexel Chemical Company, Makhteshim Agan of North America, and Sipcam Agro USA, Inc)
Description of the information that should be in the written report registrants must submit for the public hearing.
Public Hearing: March 28, 2017
Public Meeting: May 4, 2017
Subcommittee Findings and Director's Decision
- Notice of decision pertaining to metolachlor/S-metolachlor PDF (914 kb): Based on the findings and recommendations of the PREC subcommittee, the Director of DPR issued a decision regarding the continued use of metolachlor and S-metolachlor.