Do you need this certificate?

If you are a person, manufacturer, distributor, or retailer who, including, but not limited to, sells pesticides, methods or devices for the control of agricultural pests, solicits sales of pest control through recommendations made by your field representatives, or sells restricted use pesticides to users, you must possess a pest control dealer license. The definition of agricultural use will help you to decide whether you need a pest control dealer license or not. California's definition includes, but is not limited to, commercial production of animals or plants, golf courses, parks, cemeteries, roadsides, power line rights-of-way, and nurseries.

Registrants who sell their own pesticide products and licensed pesticide brokers are excluded from this license requirement if they do not sell directly to the end user.

Basic licensing requirements

A pest control dealer license is obtained by submitting an application, the following supporting business information and documents, and the appropriate fee. The following criteria must be met prior to issuance of a license:

  • Qualified Person: You must have at least one person in a supervisory position who is actively responsible for the operation of the dealership who holds a valid pest control dealer designated agent license, agricultural pest control adviser license, pest control aircraft pilot certificate, or a qualified applicator license (QAL) at each principle and branch location [Food and Agricultural Code (FAC) section 12101.5]. Please state the name of the qualified person, their certificate/license number and category on the application form submitted.
  • Documents are required to verify the name and type of business (FAC section 12103):
    • "Fictitious Business Name Statement" from the County Clerk's or County Recorder's Office. This applies to any business operating under a fictitious name. DPR requires a copy of the fictitious business name statement that was filed with the County Clerk's or County Recorder's Office.
    • "Certificate of Good Standing" document from the California Secretary of State's Office [FAC section 11702(a)]: This applies to any domestic or foreign corporation operating in California. The corporation must be registered with the California Secretary of State's Office. DPR requires a copy of the certificate. See the Secretary of State's web site for registration information.
  • Worker's Compensation Insurance: Each applicant, who is an employer as defined in Section 3300 of the Labor Code, is required to carry worker's compensation insurance. Please state them carrier's name, policy number, and the expiration date of policy on the application where indicated. If your business has no employees, write "note applicable".

Once you've become certified

You must:

  • Maintain records of all purchases, sales, and distributions of pesticides, including those at branch offices, for four years at the principle place of business. You must report to the Director, the total dollars of sales and total pounds or gallons sold into, or within, California of pesticides intended for agricultural use on a quarterly basis.
  • If the registrant has not paid the mill assessment, the pesticide broker or pest control dealer must pay the quarterly assessment to the Director of the DPR [FAC section 12406(b)].
  • Report to the Director purchases from other than licensed dealers or registrants on an annual basis.
  • Retain agricultural pest control adviser's written recommendations for two years.
  • Retain restricted material permits and operator identification statements records for two years.
  • Retain QAL, Qualified Applicator Certificate and Private Applicator Certificate numbers and pest control category(ies) received from purchasers when the operator identification number certificate was not required.
  • Obtain a copy of the ship vessel registration for tributyltin purchases.
  • Retain ground water protection statements.

Licensing, renewal, and other fees

Application fee

If you are applying for a pest control dealer license, the fee is $160.00 per calendar year (3CCR section 6502), plus $80.00 per branch office location. The license fee is based upon the licensing cycle provided below. For example, if the business applied for a license under the name "Pest Control Dealer Corporation" in January 2004, it would expire on December 31, 2005 and the fee for the license would be $320.00. "Best Pest Control Dealers" would expire December 31, 2004 and the fee for the license would be $160.00. Note: The pest control dealer license will not be issued unless the business has a qualified person and meets the business and the worker's compensation insurance requirements as indicated in the "Basic Licensing Requirements".

  • The license of businesses with names beginning with A through L expire on December 31 of even-numbered years (i.e., 2004, 2006, 2008, etc.)
  • The license of businesses with names beginning with M through Z expire on December 31 of odd-numbered years (i.e., 2005, 2007, 2009, etc.)

License renewal fee

The license renewal fee is $160 per calendar year, to be paid to DPR every two (2) years for a total cost of $320 (3CCR section 6502). The branch fee per calendar year is $80.00, to be paid every two years for a total of $160.00. The two-year license renewal fee is not prorated if the license is renewed late.

Note: The pest control dealer license will not be issued unless the business has a qualified person and meets the business and the worker's compensation insurance requirements as indicated in the "Basic Licensing Requirements".

Late renewal fee

A late fee of fifty percent (50%) of the total renewal fee will be assessed for each license postmarked after December 31 of the expiration year.

Name/address change and duplicate/replacement fees

A fee of $20 is required for name changes, as well as requests for a duplicate or replacement license. DPR will not issue a new license when an address change is received unless requested by the qualified person and accompanied by the $20 fee. A maximum fee of $20 is required for all name and/or address changes or requests for a duplicate or replacement license when submitted on a single application form.

Every person to whom a license is issued must notify the Licensing and Certification Office in writing of any name and/or address change (3CCR section 6508).

  • Legal documents certifying the name change and a fee of $20 are required in order to make a name change. A new license will be automatically issued for all name changes.
  • The change of name and address requirement form is available on DPR's website or by calling (916) 445-4038. A $20 fee for an address change is only required when the licensee requests a new license.

General information

Timelines for processing applications

DPR has established time periods for processing permit applications, in compliance with Government Code sections 15374-15378. DPR may take up to 100 days to complete the processing of this application. Failure to comply with these time periods may be appealed to the Agency Secretary, California Environmental Protection Agency, P.O. Box 2815, 1001 I Street, Sacramento, California 95814, pursuant to regulations set forth in 3CCR section 301. Under certain circumstances, the Agency Secretary may order that the applicant receive a reimbursement of filing fees.

License duration

A new license may be issued for a maximum of two years. The license duration is dependent on the date the license was issued and the renewal cycle. Each renewed license is valid for two (2) years unless renewed late.

The most common mistakes and how to avoid them

The most common application errors made are incorrect fees, no insurance documents or the insurance documents submitted do not meet our requirements, business type information is not provided, or a qualified person is not listed. You can avoid these errors by reading the application instructions carefully and mailing your application to DPR on or before the expiration date of the license. If you have questions regarding any of this information, call for assistance.

DPR Licensing and Certification location

Department of Pesticide Regulation
Pest Management and Licensing Branch
Licensing and Certification Program
1001 I Street
Sacramento, CA 95814-2828


Phone: (916) 445-4026