Research Authorizations and Experimental Use Permits

Back to Pesticide Registration
Back to Registration Forms and Instructions

Research Authorizations

A Research Authorization (RA) is a permit required for experimental pesticide applications taking place in the state.

To apply for a Research Authorization, complete the appropriate form(s) and submit to DPR by e-mail at or by postal mail at:

Research Authorization Coordinator
Department of Pesticide Regulation
Pesticide Evalution Branch
P.O. Box 4015
Sacramento, CA 95812

Note: Any Research Authorization application that does not include the active ingredient of the product due to status as trade secret information shall be accompanied by a signed request for exemption from disclosure. The request may be submitted separately from the RA application if done so in a timely manner. Failure to do so may result in the application being denied.

Research Authorization Requirements

Researchers must provide the County Agricultural Commissioner (CAC) with a copy of the approved research authorization and a notice of the intended pesticide application at least 72 hours prior to applying a pesticide requiring a research authorization, unless the CAC determines that a shorter time period is adequate to evaluate the intended pesticide application. The notice of intended application must also include the location of each trial on a plot map and a map or aerial photograph designating the location and identity of sensitive sites that could be adversely impacted by the pesticide application.

The notice of intended application provided to the CAC must also be submitted to DPR at the same time it is provided to the CAC. The notice may be submitted by e-mail to

Experimental Use Permits

U.S. EPA issues experimental use permits (EUPs) that allow researchers to conduct field testing of an unregistered pesticide product, or unregistered use of a pesticide product, to gather additional data. In some cases, researchers may choose to register their federal EUP with DPR on a conditional basis instead of applying for an RA.

For content questions, e-mail or contact:
Lan-Xin Shi, Ph.D.
Phone: (916) 445-4419
VOIP: (916) 898-0129


Shengjun Lu, Ph.D.
Phone: (916) 324-3530
VOIP: (916) 898-0126