Information for Physicians and Diagnostic Laboratories
Pesticide Illness/Injury Treatment Information
Disclaimer: We have not evaluated all the advice on these sites, and any recommendations are those of that external site.
- Online Training: Recognition, Management and Reporting Pesticide Illness.
- Physician pesticide training material available from the Association of Occupational and Environmental Clinics (AOEC) resource library
- California Poison Control System (CPCS) for health care
- CPCS Antidote Chart, PDF (350 kb)
- Posters and pamphlets for medical facilities - developed by the Office of Environmental Health Hazard Assessment (OEHHA)
- Comparing Symptoms of Heat Stress and Pesticide Poisoning (organophosphate/carbamate), PDF - Maryland Cooperative Extension publication (32 kb)
- Medical Management Guidelines for Acute Chemical Exposures from the Agency for Toxic Substances and Disease Registry (ATSDR)
- Recognition and Management of Pesticide Poisonings - U.S. EPA , in English and Spanish
- TOXNET - National Library of Medicine databases, including the Hazardous Substances Data Bank (HSBD) with treatment information from PoisonDex, Toxline, and ChemID
Pesticide Illness Tracking
- Pesticide Illness Surveillance Program
- California law requiring reporting of pesticide- related illness
- How to file a pesticide illness report - OEHHA oversees physician reporting.
- Pesticide illness report form, PDF (59 kb)
- National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health - Sentinel Event Notification System for Occupational Risk (SENSOR) pesticide surveillance program
California Medical Supervision Program
- Regulation requiring medical supervision for certain pesticide workers
- Guidelines for physicians, PDF who supervise workers exposed to cholinesterase- inhibiting pesticides (538 kb)
- Laboratories approved for cholinesterase testing for occupational health surveillance
- Regulation requiring laboratories approved for occupational health surveillance cholinesterase testing to report results to DPR.
Pesticide Information Sites
- Chemicals in the environment - U.S. EPA chemical fact sheets
- TOXNET - National Library of Medicine Toxicology Data Network
- EXTOXNET - Information on the potential health effects of pesticides
- National Pesticide Information Center, funded by U.S. EPA, with general and technical toxicology information, health information and pesticide emergency resources
- Pesticide labels:
- Listing of products registered in California
- U.S. EPA’s Pesticide Product Label System
(PPLS) - collection of label images approved by the Office of Pesticide Programs (OPP).
Note: PPLS labels include those of pesticide products that may not be registered in California. PPLS labels may not reflect the DPR registered label.
- Agricultural chemical labels and MSDS - provided and maintained by Crop Data Management Systems (CDMS) Inc.
- Toxicology data review - DPR summaries of toxicology data on file.
- Worker Health and Safety Branch reports - Includes exposure assessments, field study reports, and epidemiological studies.
For content questions, contact:
Phone: (916) 445-4222