Licensing and Certification Program
Sign up to receive e-mail updates on DPR’s Licensing Program activities.
DPR's Licensing and Certification Program is responsible for examining and licensing or certifying qualified pesticide applicators, pest control aircraft pilots, pest control dealer designated agents, and agricultural pest control advisers. DPR also licenses businesses that sell or apply pesticides or use pest control methods/devices for hire (i.e., pest control business, maintenance gardener pest control business, pest control dealer, and pesticide broker).
Visit the local County Agricultural Commissioner for private applicator certificate information.
Visit the Structural Pest Control Board for structural pest control licensing information.
Visit the California Department of Public Health for vector control technician certification information.
What's New in Licensing
A new, updated version of the Laws and Regulations Study Guide is now available on DPR’s website. Reviewing and knowing the information in the study guide should help you to prepare for taking the Laws and Regulations exam. It’s also a good refresher on pesticide use requirements. Study materials for exams can be found on DPR’s website.
All Agricultural Pest Control Adviser License (PCA), Pest Control Aircraft Pilot Certificate (APC and JPC), Qualified Applicator (QAL and QAC), and Designated Dealer Agent (DDA) exams are now given at computer-based testing centers. These testing centers are conveniently located throughout California. Once you submit your application to DPR and it has been processed, you will be emailed a link to schedule a time and location for your exam that works best for you!
We've Moved Offices!
The Licensing, Certification and Continuing Education Programs moved offices in May 2020.
The best way to get ahold of us is through our LicenseMail@cdpr.ca.gov email. Note that our main phone number for the Licensing and Certification Program (916-445-4038) remains the same, as well as all of our email addresses. The Continuing Education (CE) Program's phone number for CE course sponsor questions has changed to 916-603-7792.
Our mailing address will remain the same:
Department of Pesticide Regulation
Attn: Cashier MS-4A
P.O. Box 4015
Sacramento, CA 95812-4015
We are committed to providing you great customer service. Should you need to meet in person with a Licensing program staff member, please email (LicenseMail@cdpr.ca.gov) to schedule a time for us to meet at the Cal EPA Bldg in downtown Sacramento. In general, it is best and most appreciated if you mail your application packages or other non-email correspondence to us at the address in lieu of dropping them off in person.
New Information and Resources
- Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) for Individual License Holders, PDF (En Español)
- Notice of New Restrictions on Sale and Use of Pesticide Products Containing Carbaryl, PDF
- 2022 Licensing Renewal Reminder Poster, PDF – A tool for CE sponsors and county agricultural commissioner staff to use to remind A-L license and certificate holders to renew early.
- 2022 Licensing Renewal Information Presentation, PDF – A tool for CE sponsors, county agricultural commissioner staff, or others to inform individuals renewing this year (surnames and business names beginning with letters A-L) about the DPR renewal process, important dates, and benefits of renewing early.
- Top 10 Agricultural Pesticide Use Violations of 2020, PDF - CE course sponsors and licensees are encouraged to use this presentation covering the most common agricultural pesticide use violations that occurred during 2020. This presentation is also available in Spanish (En Español, PDF).
- Exam schedule, PDF (En Español, PDF).
For more information, please contact:
Licensing and Certification Program
Phone (916) 445-4038