Surface Water Database (SURF)
The Department of Pesticide Regulation maintains a Surface Water Database (SURF) containing data from a wide variety of environmental monitoring studies designed to test for the presence or absence of pesticides in California surface waters. As part of DPR’s effort to provide public access to pesticide information, this site provides access to data from DPR’s Surface Water Database.
The SURF database was recently updated in May 2016. The previous update was in June 2015. The recent update included 5,245 new water results and 1,182 new sediment results from 12 studies. 55 new monitoring sites were added to the database making the total number of sites 3,226. The most recent water sample was taken on October 13, 2015. And the most recent sediment sample was taken on August 13, 2015.
Submitting Data to DPR’s SURF Database
DPR encourages submission of surface water monitoring data from any organization that conducts studies designed to monitor for the presence of pesticides in California surface water. DPR accepts data submissions that fulfill the minimum requirements shown below. Data in electronic format (spreadsheet, txt, or csv format) required.
- Name of sampling agency or organization
- Date that each sample was collected
- Date of each sample analysis
- County where samples were taken
- Detailed sampling location information (including latitude and longitude, with datum specified (NAD83, WGS84, etc.)
- Name or description of water body sampled
- Name of the active ingredient analyzed
- Concentration detected (with unit of measurement)
- Limit of quantitation (with unit of measurement)
- Description of analytical QA/QC plan, or statement that no formal plan exists
For content questions, contact:
Xuyang Zhang, Ph.D.
1001 I Street, P.O. Box 4015
Sacramento, CA 95812-4015
Phone: (510) 494-1102