Brian R. Leahy
Department of Pesticide Regulation
Edmund G. Brown Jr.
March 21, 2016
County Agricultural Commissioners
UPDATES TO VOLUME 3, RESTRICTED MATERIALS AND PERMITTING, PESTICIDE USE ENFORCEMENT PROGRAM STANDARDS COMPENDIUM, APPENDIX M: METHYL BROMIDE FIELD FUMIGATION RECOMMENDED PERMIT CONDITIONS
This letter announces the availability of, and summarizes updates to Volume 3, Restricted Materials and Permitting, one of eight volumes of the Pesticide Use Enforcement Program Standards Compendium. Updates are enclosed and will be available online at the link provided below. Please have your staff begin using these updates as soon as possible. Hard copies of the updates will not be distributed.
This letter supersedes the recommended permit conditions for all applications of methyl bromide field fumigations found in Enforcement letter ENF 12-21 (AMENDED) dated March 7, 2013. Revisions to the recommended permit conditions include:
- Procedures for determining buffer zone distances and durations. The previous permit conditions referenced the Methyl Bromide Field Fumigation Buffer Zone Determination, Rev. 3/10 document for determining buffer zones distances and durations. The attached updated permit conditions include all the information from that buffer zone determination document, including buffer zone tables.
- The buffer zone table for fumigation method 3 CCR section 6447.3(a)(3)(B)1. Tarpaulin/ shallow/broadcast (table 3, p. M-25) does not apply to strip fumigations. When this method is done as a strip fumigation, buffer zone distances are based on table 2 (p. M-24.)
- The additional buffer zone duration requirements for broadcast shank applications using tarps qualifying for a 60% or greater reduction in buffer zone distances apply only to the inner buffer zone.
- Instructions on how to calculate buffer zones for methyl bromide combined with chloropicrin applications, and descriptions of requirements for each buffer zone.
To print the revised portions of the manual, select from the enclosures or go to /www.cdpr.ca.gov/docs/enforce/compend/vol_3/rstrct_mat.htm. It is recommended the sections be printed back-to-back, where applicable. For best results, print each chapter and appendix separately. Remove the old sections from the manual and insert the new sections:
- Appendix M, Methyl Bromide Field Fumigation Recommended Permit Conditions
- Added instructions on how to determine buffer zone distances and durations, and buffer zone tables.
- Added figures and instructions on how to calculate buffer zones for methyl bromide combined with chloropicrin applications.
If you have any questions, please contact the Enforcement Branch Liaison assigned to your county.
Original Signature by:
Chief, Enforcement Branch
Volume 3 - Restricted Materials and Permitting Updates 1, PDF (22 kb)
Appendix M, PDF (440 kb)
cc: Mr. Joe Marade, DPR Agricultural Commissioner Liaison (w/Enclosures)
Enforcement Branch Liaison
1001 I Street ·
P.O. Box 4015 · Sacramento,
California 95812-4015 · www.cdpr.ca.gov
A Department of the California Environmental Protection Agency