Brian R. Leahy
Department of Pesticide Regulation
Edmund G. Brown Jr.
March 24, 2016
County Agricultural Commissioners
UPDATES TO VOLUME 3, RESTRICTED MATERIALS AND PERMITTING, PESTICIDE USE ENFORCEMENT PROGRAM STANDARDS COMPENDIUM, APPENDIX K: CHLOROPICRIN AND CHLOROPICRIN IN COMBINATION WITH OTHER PRODUCTS (FIELD FUMIGANT) INTERIM RECOMMENDED PERMIT CONDITIONS
This letter announces the availability of, and summarizes updates to Volume 3, Restricted Materials and Permitting, one of eight volumes of the Pesticide Use Enforcement Program Standards Compendium. Updates are enclosed and will be available online at the link provided below. Please have your staff begin using these updates as soon as possible. Hard copies of the updates will not be distributed.
This letter supersedes the recommended permit conditions for all applications of chloropicrin field fumigations found in Enforcement letter ENF 15-06 dated April 6, 2015. The attached revised interim recommended permit conditions mitigate hazards associated with offsite movement of chloropicrin and apply to all chloropicrin applications when used as a field fumigant. Revisions to the recommended permit conditions include:
- The Department of Pesticide Regulation (DPR) has created a California-specific list of totally impermeable films (TIF) that qualify to receive the 60% buffer zone reduction credit for soil fumigant products containing chloropicrin. The DPR TIF list became effective January 1, 2016 for use under the Chloropicrin and Chloropicrin in Combination with Other Products (Field Fumigant) Interim Recommended Permit Conditions in Compendium Volume 3 Restricted Materials and Permitting, Appendix K. The DPR TIF list is available on DPR's website at www.cdpr.ca.gov/docs/emon/pubs/tac/chlorop.htm.
- Revised buffer zone tables for all application methods (previously, referred the reader to the product label table for certain applications).
- Clarified instructions on how to calculate buffer zones when applying a combination of chloropicrin and methyl bromide, plus added descriptions, with scenarios, of requirements for each buffer zone.
To print the revised portions of the manual, select from the enclosures or go to www.cdpr.ca.gov/docs/enforce/compend/vol_3/rstrct_mat.htm. It is recommended the sections be printed back-to-back, where applicable. For best results, print each chapter and appendix separately. Remove the old sections from the manual and insert the new sections:
- Table of Contents
- Updated page iii with the table of contents for Appendix K; page iv has information formerly on page iii.
- Appendix K, Chloropicrin and Chloropicrin in Combination with Other Products (Field Fumigant) Interim Recommended Permit Conditions
- DPR-approved list of California-specific TIF tarpaulins
- Revised buffer zone tables for all application methods
- Clarified instructions on how to calculate buffer zones for chloropicrin combined with methyl bromide applications, and added descriptions of requirements for each buffer zone.
If you have any questions, please contact the Enforcement Branch Liaison assigned to your county.
Original Signature by:
Chief, Enforcement Branch
Volume 3 - Restricted Materials and Permitting Updates 2, PDF (22 kb)
Restricted Materials and Permitting - Table of Contents, PDF (27 kb)
Appendix K, PDF (744 kb)
cc: Mr. Joe Marade, DPR Agricultural Commissioner Liaison (w/Enclosures)
Enforcement Branch Liaison
1001 I Street ·
P.O. Box 4015 · Sacramento,
California 95812-4015 · www.cdpr.ca.gov
A Department of the California Environmental Protection Agency