Worker Protection Program
Worker Protection Program staff develops, implements, and evaluates California's pesticide safety regulations for workers and provides input on changes to the federal Worker Protection Standard (WPS). Research includes looking at trends in DPR's pesticide illness surveillance database, enforcement database, compliance assessment studies, and data from field surveys and exposure monitoring studies. This program is also responsible for the development and oversight of outreach materials such as the Pesticide Safety Information Series (PSIS) leaflets. Staff develop and administer worker outreach and other projects as part of the Pesticide Consolidated Cooperative Agreement with U.S. EPA.
As of January 2, 2017, California regulations have been updated to be consistent with the recently revised federal WPS.
Worker Safety Regulation Changes and Training Resources - Overview of regulatory changes, amended regulatory text, training materials, and Train-the-Trainer (T2) program information.
Worker Safety Outreach and Education Resources
- Pesticide Safety Information Series (PSIS) -
leaflets explaining the worker safety regulations and other safety information to workers.
- Cannabis Outreach, PDF - posters for providing safety information on pesticide use.
In Español, PDF
- UC IPM Training and Safety Resources - provides safety education models and resources.
- U.S. EPA - Information on worker safety
Resources for Worker Protection Regulations
- California Code of Regulations - Title 3, Division 6. Pesticides and Pest Control Operations. The California Code of Regulations must be followed to be in compliance with the WPS.
- U.S. EPA Worker Protection Standard (WPS) - overview of the revised federal regulations. The WPS sets the minimum worker protection regulations for state compliance.
- U.S. EPA Worker Protection Standard publications - U.S. EPA publications that explain many aspects of the WPS in detail.
- How to comply with the U.S. EPA Worker Protection Standards - provides guidance to employers on how to comply.
For content questions, contact:
1001 I Street, P.O. Box 4015
Sacramento, CA 95812-4015
Phone: (916) 445-4222